Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Our Miracle

Like any other couple awaiting the birth of a child, we prayed for a happy, healthy baby. We had a wonderful pregnancy with NO complications. So when we were admitted to be induced on August 16th, we expected nothing less than a smooth delivery. I gave birth by C-section on August 17th to a beautiful baby girl weighing 6 lbs 2 ounces. I wasn't allowed to see my sweet angel until the next day. I wasn't sure why but I didn't ask many questions because I was told that everything was fine and she just needed time in the oxygen tent. While my heart was breaking for not seeing my baby, I knew that it was the best thing for her. The next day was when our roller coaster began rolling on the tracks... I was aware that my baby had a few things going on. She had an extra digit on her hand, extra toe and webbed toes on one foot and the other was clubbed. To me, that is nothing but minor issues. However I was not prepared for what I was being told next. My baby was being sent to UAB due to issues with her lungs and heart. My heart was absolutely broken. Because I had a C-section, I couldn't leave when she did. As any father would have done, Shawn went with the baby, and my mother stayed with me. I was devestated. But it was nothing compared to what I would be facing in the next 2 weeks... Finally after 2 days of not being with my little family, i was finally discharged from the hospital and on my way! We had a good couple of days. She was just like I thought any newborn should be! While she was being fed, the nurses noticed that she hadn't produced any stool so we were sent to children's hospital because they were better with the digestive tract. We were then told that our daughter had Hirschprungs Disease, which affected the nerves in the lower bowel. We would require surgery... There was another issue. All of these things were being caused by one big syndrome. Through genetic testing, we would soon find out that she is positive for Smith Lemli Optiz syndrome. (I won't go into details about that because it would take 20 pages but feel free to look it up) while we were concerned about this, it was kind of stuck in the back of our minds because we were focused on surgery... The great news, is surgery went perfect! Although we are not thrilled about our baby being stuck with a colostomy bag, it was worth everything! That meant we could finally start feedings! After that surgery, a blood transfusion, a spinal tap, and another surgery placing a picc line in to reduce the amour of sticks she would have from iv's... We thought we were over the worst! Then came the BIGGEST shock of our lives... The Dr's eNter to meet with us to review all of the issues and the where do we go from here's. While at first everything was fine, we were then told that our baby girl was actually just the opposite... He was actually xy (male). WOW... What do we do? How are we supposed to deal with this? Everything we have ever known is totally different. We were devestated. I felt like I was mourning the death of my daughter all the while welcoming the birth of my son. All that was for sure was that this baby needs us now more than ever... After many tears and breakdowns that night, we knew that we needed a new name. Cayden (strength) Noah (survivor) Willis. It was perfect. Nowbwe needed to pick up all of the pieces. For a couple of days everything was wonderful. God had given me such peace about this. We were prepared and ready to face the world! Until... The drs called for another meeting... We were asked not to rush into anything. No permanent name change, because even though he was a boy... They had to test both estrogen and testosterone... They wanted to see what he reacted to best... So now we are confused again! How are we supposed to deal with this? Our child can't go without a name! And again after many tears and lots of prayer... I was so at peace with him being Cayden Willis, I decided that God is in control. And no matter what, we are prepared to face anything. So we are now back at UAB to deal with the heart/ lung issues! We have been on meds trying to control the pulmonary hypertension and trying to stay off of the ventilator. He also has a premature pda. Which is a small hole sending blood to his lungs... So. Today we are off of the ventilator!!! Very exciting!!! And with Gods healing hand, we will overcome this heart issue... My biggest reason for posting the blog is, even though we don't have any absolute results for anything, everyone has been so wonderful and supportive and I was so ready to let everyone know!!! And its wierd that everyone keeps calling him Evie! Lol. We have learned so much about the importance of God and love, and strength, and having the ability to hold each other together. Without the love of my God and shawn, i know that I couldn't survive. God has such big plans for this family. And we are so ready to show the world just how amazing our son is!!!! Thank you for all of the thoughts, prayers, and donations. I wish we only knew how to repay each person. Keep the prayers coming because God is faithfully answering everyday!

2 comments:

  1. I look forward to meeting you Nikki! That little angel of your's just has no idea how much he is loved by so many people. God is Leading!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete